Dear honorable members of Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, this is Hyung Jun Kim of Yonsei University elected as the 8th president of Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
I recognize myself upon heavy responsibility and simultaneously feel honored to be elected as a president at the time when I have adequate experience and sufficient energy. On the foundation of the 61-year-old society inherited with unforgettable efforts of senior members, I will try my best to seek a way of "transformation into a horizontal structure” in which rank and file members, board of trustees, and executives can all equally contribute and be proud as a member of the society. Also I will not miss this valuable opportunity to contribute not only to academic development but also to public health while pursuing proper benefits.
Followings are a summary of the challenges confronting our society, which I have consistently determined directly or indirectly while serving as a president, and thought our society should organize and pursue
1. Reorganization of academic executives and rank and file members’ election protocol
2. Reorganization and numbering of Health Insurance categories, and proper adjustment of medical charges
3. Encouragement of medical practitioners’ participation
4. Specialization of medical appraisal
5. Publish a revised edition of the textbook
6. Reorganization of the undergraduate curriculum in accordance with renewed national examination system
7. Reorganization of residents’ education curriculum and establishment of board certified doctors grading system
8. Raising the value of KAOMS in the International Society
9. Strengthening ties with relevant organizations
Besides, there are many other things that our society has to deal with. Therefore, I urge all of the members to help, understand, and communicate with each other. Furthermore, paradigm shift, in which all oral and maxillofacial surgeons are united, is urgently needed to face era of aging and post COVID-19. Our executives and I will do our best to fulfill our role as coordinators of the stable and dynamic Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons by bringing together the experiences of our seniors and the energy of our juniors.